Give a gift that keeps on giving. The great thing about the gift subscription is that you have a present to wrap and hand to your little scientist for Christmas. The rest of the boxes are sent directly to them starting 22nd January 2021. If you don’t live in the same house as the little scientist we can send the first box to your address and the rest of the subscription to the child’s address.
A science kit that contains everything (kitchen sink excluded) to do the experiments, plus a full-colour comic style instruction booklet.
How the gift subscription works
- You place an order telling us how many months you would like to purchase. This is a one off payment, there are no recurring charges.
- We dispatch the first box in the series to you within three days of your order. Tick the box at the checkout if you want it sent to your billing address.
- You give the child their box of science for Christmas. They open their gift and have a great time playing with it.
- We send them (shipping address at checkout) another box around the 22nd January, and another every month for the duration you chose.
- Receiving their Letterbox Lab science kit becomes the highlight of the child’s month.
If you would like the first box to go to a different address than your billing address, please put it in the order notes at the checkout.
The Explore Box Series
3 to 5 experiments in every box, 1 or 2 hours of science fun.
A series of different science kits that build upon each other with collectable lab equipment.
The boxes contains everything you need to do the experiments – no shopping list of extra stuff to buy.
Fits through most letterboxes – no trips to the post office.
Video instructions and illustrated instruction booklet.
Suitable for children aged 6 and up.
What’s in your first box: Hidden Rainbows.
The first Explore Box is about a hidden world of colour. Your little scientist will turn the world into rainbows.
Experiment 1, Incredible Inks: use chromatography to split different inks up into the many colours they are made of.
Experiment 2, Rainbow Glasses: make your own pair of rainbow glasses that turn every point of light into multiple rainbows showing how white light is a mixture of all the colours of the rainbow.
Experiment 3, Rainbow Spinners: mix colours together with the rainbow spinner and see colours appear to come from nowhere.
There are 11 more boxes in the series from Box 2: Science Sorcery to Box 12: Engineer The Future.
Return to Explore Box Options
“This box was aimed perfectly at Miss A’s age range. She was completely engrossed in the experiments throughout and can
not wait for the next box to arrive! … “
“The box is great value for money…the quality and presentation excellent…build up your own Science kit.”
Patricia (Four Little Girls… The Mummy Memoirs)
“Letterbox Lab is such a terrific bunch of activities to do every month! They are a wonderful creative (and often happily messy!) way to introduce young children to scientific principles. ”
Merith (Merith’s Miscellany) see all of Meredith’s reviews here
Sounds great, if I order now when will I get it?
Order today and your exciting new science kit will be in the post within three working days.
How many different boxes are there?
The Explore Box is a series of 12 awesome science kits. Each comes with a beautiful, full-colour instruction booklet and a private members’ area with helpful video instructions, extra information on the experiments and ideas for extra experiments.
Can I start a subscription on a later box?
We recommend starting a subscription on Box 1 but if you’ve already had some boxes just tell us which one you’d like to start on. There’s a box on the checkout you can use for notes like this.
Can I start two subscriptions for two different people?
Sure, our checkout doesn’t allow you to enter two different shipping addresses, so just send us an email with the second address or put them through as two separate orders.
Is it safe?
Yes they are. In developing the Explore box we’ve closely followed all relevant safety regulations and it bears a CE marking to demonstrate compliance.
The only consumables in the Explore box are foodstuffs – although we should point out they are not being prepared in a food-grade environment, so they should be used for science not for eating! All equipment that we put in the boxes is carefully vetted to ensure that it cannot cause harm. All equipment that we put in the boxes is carefully vetted for safety. However, as with anything harm can come through misuse so we provide plenty of instructions on how to use our materials safely.
Is it going to be messy?
Working with liquids always has the risk of spills so our clever boxes open up to work as a tray for performing the experiments in to contain any potential mess. We also provide disposable gloves to keep hands clean. The first page of each experiment has a “messiness rating” to give parents a heads-up.
What's the difference between the Explore and the Investigate Boxes?
Both Explore and Investigate are 12 month (no-commitment) subscriptions that put everything you need to play with science straight through your letterbox. There are a few things that distinguish the boxes:
- The Explore box is for those who like to tinker or who don’t have a lot of time, containing 2-3 activities that will entertain your child for up to 1 hour.
- The Investigate box is a bigger, more involved box containing between 6 and 9 activities that will engage your child for up to 3 hours. Generally you will find all of the activities from an Explore box in the corresponding Investigate box, but with additional activities that take your child’s discoveries further and require a more extensive collection of lab equipment (which, of course, is included).
- The activities in an Explore box are usually loosely tied to a particular topic (although we don’t like to constrain learning with tight topics!), but the Investigate box takes children on a journey via a 24-page booklet featuring Meg and Pico, the Lab Assistants.
- The Investigate box is an experimental set containing a range of chemical reagents, and as such is only available for children over 8 years. The activities in the Investigate box include scientific demonstrations, experiments and creative projects.
- The activities we select for the Explore box are from the third category; these don’t require laboratory equipment or any chemical reagents other than common foodstuffs (e.g. salt, sugar, flour). So the Explore box is not an experimental set but a creative set based on scientific principles.
Where do you ship to?
Currently we’re only shipping to the UK. We hope to expand on this soon though.