Pay for months of science fun with a single, one-off payment.
This is a subscription without any recurring charges. Buy as many Explore Boxes as you want in one go. The first box will be in the post to you within two working days and the rest of the boxes are sent out every month.
This option makes an excellent gift. If you’d like us to send the first box to you (so you have a present to hand someone) and all later boxes to a different address let us know.
The Explore Box Series
3 to 5 experiments in every box, at least 1 hour of science fun.
A series of different science kits that build upon each other with collectable lab equipment.
The boxes contains everything you need to do the experiments – no shopping list of extra stuff to buy.
Fits through most letterboxes – no trips to the post office.
Video instructions and illustrated instruction booklet.
Suitable for children aged 6 and up.
Sneak a peek inside Box 1 – Hidden Rainbows, first in the Explore Box series.
This kit is about a hidden world of colour and turns the world into rainbows.
Experiment 1, Incredible Inks: use chromatography to split different inks up into the many colours they are made of.
Experiment 2, Rainbow Glasses: make your own pair of rainbow glasses that turn every point of light into multiple rainbows showing how white light is a mixture of all the colours of the rainbow.
Experiment 3, Rainbow Spinners: mix colours together with the rainbow spinner and see colours appear to come from nowhere.
There are 11 more boxes in the series from Box 2: Science Sorcery to Box 12: Engineer The Future.
Sounds great, if I order now when will I get it?
Order today and your exciting new science kit will be in the post within two working days.We ship 2nd class to the UK and International Economy to Ireland, which can take up to 15 working days.
How many different boxes are there?
The Explore Box is a series of 12 awesome science kits. Each comes with a beautiful, full-colour instruction booklet and a private members’ area with helpful video instructions, extra information on the experiments and ideas for extra experiments.
So, this is educational then?
Letterbox Lab was started by two people who just love playing with fun, surprising and interesting science stuff and want to share that with people. So, the first thing we ask about any activity we’re planning to put in the box is “Is it fun?”. But each kit does support the primary school curricula of all four regions of the UK as well as going beyond the curricula – science knows no borders or restraints.
One of the advantages to this being a series of science kits instead of one-offs is that we refer back to previous boxes so that your child’s knowledge and the content of the boxes grow together.
Do I need to know a lot about science to help my kids play with this?
Not at all. Our whole thing is that we want to make playing with science as simple and as convenient as possible. Our instruction leaflets are fully illustrated and we have video instructions for each box to make doing the experiments hassle-free.
If your child asks a question about the science that you can’t answer please send it to us – we’d love to answer it for you. We’re not just selling you a product, you are joining our club and we’re here to support you. If your child’s question is so clever that we don’t know and/or can’t find the answer you can give them a big pat on the back!
Is it safe?
Yes they are. In developing the Explore box we’ve closely followed all relevant safety regulations and it bears a CE marking to demonstrate compliance.
The only consumables in the Explore box are foodstuffs – although we should point out they are not being prepared in a food-grade environment, so they should be used for science not for eating! All equipment that we put in the boxes is carefully vetted to ensure that it cannot cause harm. All equipment that we put in the boxes is carefully vetted for safety. However, as with anything harm can come through misuse so we provide plenty of instructions on how to use our materials safely.
Is it going to be messy?
Working with liquids always has the risk of spills so our clever boxes open up to work as a tray for performing the experiments in to contain any potential mess. We also provide disposable gloves to keep hands clean. The first page of each experiment has a “messiness rating” to give parents a heads-up.
What's the difference between the Explore and the Investigate Boxes?
Both Explore and Investigate are 12 month (no-commitment) subscriptions that put everything you need to play with science straight through your letterbox. There are a few things that distinguish the boxes:
- The Explore box is for those who like to tinker or who don’t have a lot of time, containing 3 to 5 activities that will entertain your child for up to 2 hours.
- The Investigate box is a bigger, more involved box containing between 6 and 9 activities that will engage your child for up to 3 hours. Generally you will find all of the activities from an Explore box in the corresponding Investigate box, but with additional activities that take your child’s discoveries further and require a more extensive collection of lab equipment (which, of course, is included).
- The activities in an Explore box are usually loosely tied to a particular topic (although we don’t like to constrain learning with tight topics!), but the Investigate box takes children on a journey via a 24-page booklet featuring Meg and Pico, the Lab Assistants.
- The Investigate box is an experimental set containing a range of chemical reagents, and as such is only available for children over 8 years. The activities in the Investigate box include scientific demonstrations, experiments and creative projects.
- The activities we select for the Explore box are from the third category; these don’t require laboratory equipment or any chemical reagents other than common foodstuffs (e.g. salt, sugar, flour). So the Explore box is not an experimental set but a creative set based on scientific principles.
Where do you ship to?
We currently ship to the UK and Ireland..
“This box was aimed perfectly at Miss A’s age range. She was completely engrossed in the experiments throughout and can
not wait for the next box to arrive! … “
“The box is great value for money…the quality and presentation excellent…build up your own Science kit.”
Patricia (Four Little Girls… The Mummy Memoirs)