The innovative science kit that provides everything you need to perform amazing experiments.
Get the eighth Investigate Box: Bubbles Ahoy without subscribing.
Please note this is a supplementary set, you will need equipment from previous Investigate Boxes to perform some of the science activities.
This time you’ll be Investigating bubbles and boats! You’ll make small bubbles, big bubbles, square bubbles and bubbles inside bubbles. You’ll also make a boat powered by an elastic band and another powered only by soap!. All this and more in Bubbles Ahoy.
What is a science subscription box?
The Investigate Box is a series of 12 different science kits that comes through the post. You can purchase the first one on its own or sign up to a completely no-commitment subscription. You can cancel the subscription at any point or – even better – you can postpone payments and receive the next box whenever you choose. You can also choose whether to receive the new boxes every month or every two months.
Sounds great, if I order now when will I get it?
Order today and your exciting new science kit will be in the post within two working days.
How many boxes are there?
The Investigate Box is a series of 12 awesome science kits. Each comes with a beautiful, full-colour instruction booklet and a private members’ area with helpful video instructions, extra information on the experiments and ideas for extra experiments.
Do I have to commit to paying money every month?
Nope. As a default, you can choose to get a new box full of new experiments every month or every two months but you can also cancel or postpone the subscription at any point easily through the ‘My Account’ section of the website.
If you’re still reluctant to sign up for a subscription you can purchase a box individually. Note that by choosing this option you do lose out on the subscribers’ discount. Also, the boxes are a series so we advise that you purchase them in order. More boxes will be made available for individual purchase after they have been received by subscribers for the first time.
So, this is educational then?
Letterbox Lab was started by two people who just love playing with fun, surprising and interesting science stuff and want to share that with people. So, the first thing we ask about any activity we’re planning to put in the box is “Is it fun?”. But, each kit does support the primary school curricula of all four regions of the UK as well as going beyond the curricula – science knows no limits!
One of the advantages to this being a series of science kits instead of one-offs is that we refer back to previous boxes so that your child’s knowledge and the content of the boxes grow together.
Do I need to know a lot about science to help my kids play with this?
Not at all. Our whole thing is that we want to make playing with science as simple and as convenient as possible. Our instruction leaflets are fully illustrated and we have video instructions for each box to make doing the experiments hassle-free.
If your child asks a question about the science that you can’t answer please send it to us we’d love to answer it for you. We’re not just selling you a product you are joining our club and we’d love to hear from you.
Is it safe?
Yes they are. In developing the Investigate box we’ve closely followed the regulations set out in EU 71-4 (Safety of Toys: Experimental sets for chemistry and related activities) so that even when we include reagents that you wouldn’t find on the shelves of your local supermarket, they are weighed out and packaged in such a way that they cannot harm your child. We supply safety goggles and gloves to handle these reagents too. All equipment that we put in the boxes is carefully vetted for safety. However, as with anything harm can come through misuse so we provide plenty of instructions on how to use our materials safely.
Is it going to be messy?
Working with liquids always has the risk of spills so our clever boxes open up to work as a tray for performing the experiments in to contain any potential mess. We also provide disposable gloves to keep hands clean. The first page of each experiment has a “messiness rating” to give parents a heads-up.
What's the difference between the Explore Box and the Investigate Box?
Both Explore and Investigate are 12 month (no-commitment) subscriptions that put everything you need to play with science straight through your letterbox. There are a few things that distinguish the boxes:
- The Explore box is for those who like to tinker or who don’t have a lot of time, containing 2-3 activities that will entertain your child for up to 1 hour.
- The Investigate box is a bigger, more involved box containing between 6 and 9 activities that will engage your child for up to 3 hours. Generally you will find all of the activities from an Explore box in the corresponding Investigate box, but with additional activities that take your child’s discoveries further and require a more extensive collection of lab equipment (which, of course, is included).
- The activities in an Explore box are usually loosely tied to a particular topic (although we don’t like to constrain learning with tight topics!), but the Investigate box takes children on a journey via a 24-page booklet featuring Meg and Pico, the Lab Assistants.
- The Investigate box is an experimental set containing a range of chemical reagents, and as such is only available for children over 8 years. The activities in the Investigate box include scientific demonstrations, experiments and creative projects.
- The activities we select for the Explore box are from the third category; these don’t require laboratory equipment or any chemical reagents other than common foodstuffs (e.g. salt, sugar, flour). So the Explore box is not an experimental set but a creative set based on scientific principles.
Where do you ship to?
We currently ship to the UK and Ireland.
By subscribing you get a new box of different exciting science experiments every month or every two months. It’s also completely commitment-free. Cancel or postpone your subscription at any time.